Enjoy using a clean product: how to descale and clean taps correctly
Water is clear, pure and fresh. We associate it with physical comfort and with boosting our energy levels. We treat ourselves to a nice bath or shower, wash our hands, our food and lots more. Every drop is precious, and anyone who is aware of hansgrohe’s attention to detail will also understand how passionate we are when it comes to cleaning and maintaining our products. Here are our tips.
Cleaning and maintaining a tap: it’s easy
A tap is used every day. While it does the cleaning, it often becomes a “victim” of pollution itself. Our hands leave behind grease residues, particles of dirt and other marks. Even water takes its toll on the material, particularly in the form of limescale deposits. The advantage to you: with a tap from hansgrohe, you are purchasing a high-quality product. We want you to be able to enjoy using it for as long as possible. Here we show you how to correctly clean, descale and maintain your tap over the long term.
Just one wipe, and it’s all clean
Just bear in mind the following tips, so that cleaning and maintaining your tap will be no big deal.
- Step 1: It’s best to clean the surface of the hansgrohe tap with a soft cotton cloth (just moisten somewhat if required). Gently wiping removes most dirt, without damaging the material. Please do not use any metal sponges, brushes or micro-fibre cloths.
- Step 2: Limescale residues tend to be deposited in corners and grooves. Use a mild citric acid-based cleaner. Please do not spray the concentrate directly onto the tap, spray it onto a cloth.
- Step 3: The so-called aerator is easy to remove for cleaning. If you put it into hot water with a little bit of detergent, this gets rid of the deposits after an application time of about ten minutes. Lots of hansgrohe products are equipped with QuickClean technology. This fast anti-limescale function makes it easy to rub off any limescale on the tap.
- Step 4: Thoroughly rinse the tap using clean water.
- Step 5: Repeat the first tip again to completely remove any residues of the detergent and to give the surface a glossy finish.
One more tip: Clean the sink and the spout at the same time. Then everything will be gleaming again. So you can really enjoy using water.
Choosing a cleaner – an odyssey through the product range?
We recommend that our customers use a mild, citric acid-based cleaner. This has several advantages. conventional concentrates with lots of cleaning power often irritate hands and eyes, can trigger allergies and cause sensitive skin to turn red. They do similar things to the tap. Chemicals that are too strong will corrode its material. At first the damage goes unnoticed, but microscopically small scratches or superficial burns are enough to tarnish the high-gloss finish. Over the long term, dirt and limescale can settle in these places. Mild detergents are also more eco-friendly.
If you have hard water in your area, limescale deposits are likely. Prevent the formation of residues by briefly wiping the tap, ideally after each time you use it for rinsing or washing. This removes tap water before it can settle.
Gentle maintenance on a regular basis makes your tap gleam
The hansgrohe quality laboratory has tested numerous cleaners and descalers. We came to the conclusion that in this regard, less is more. The substance citric acid is our favourite: effective, fragrant and not harmful to the tap or to humans. You can download our detailed cleaning recommendations as a PDF file.
We do not recommend using any cleaning agents based on vinegar, acetic acid, formic acid, sodium hydroxide and sodium hypochlorite, phosphoric acid or even hydrochloric acid. These substances are sometimes highly corrosive. If used frequently, they will damage the metal; even the most high-quality finish. We can fully recommend citric acid.
Find a hansgrohe retail store closest to you
hansgrohe Loading showroom data
An error occurred. Please reload the page.